OMG y’all it is hot right now in Texas. Like hell on earth, the devil is my next door neighbor hot. Don’t get me wrong it’s ALWAYS hot in Texas, but the summer is especially hellish. Here lately each summer seems to get hotter and hotter. I got these adorable popsicle molds to come up with some healthier options to combat the heat instead of traditional ice cream. Plus popsicles are fun and I love that their already individually portioned.
When I first got these molds I wanted to use them RIGHT THEN so I went with what I had on hand. I had coconut milk in the pantry and key limes in the fridge and if that’s not a match made in heaven, I don’t know what is. I love these popsicles because they’re tart and sweet. The coconut adds such a smooth, creamy, and sweet taste, while the key limes are tart and tangy! I love the tang of Key Limes, but if you only have access to regular limes they will work just as well!
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup of milk*
- ⅓ cup key lime juice**
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp lime zest
- *I used almond milk, but any milk will work.
- **If you don't have key limes, regular limes are a perfect substitution.
- Add both milks and lime juice to a large bowl. If your coconut has solidified, add it to a medium saucepan and warm over low to medium heat until melted. (If you do this, remove from heat and let cool to room temperature before proceeding).
- Add honey, zest, and coconut flakes and stir until combined.
- Pour into molds and freeze for at least 3 hours before serving.
Adding the shredded coconut is a great textural element, but if it bothers you leave it out. It won’t hurt my feelings at all. The wifey didn’t like the shredded coconut either. The great thing about this recipe is that the lime juice and zest can be swapped out for other fruit juices or fruit purees. The coconut milk makes the perfect creamy base that you can play around with.
I’d love to know what your favorite popsicle flavor is. Leave me a comment below letting me know and tell me if you’re going to try these!! I’d love to hear from you! Don’t forget to share if you liked what you saw today.